University of Connecticut University of UC Title Fallback Connecticut

Research Compliance

University Facilities Use

In preparing proposals, PIs must be aware that University facilities are to be used only for those purposes that are part of the University’s mission (research, teaching and public service). In instances where research projects are supported by outside entities, any use of University facilities must be reviewed and approved by Sponsored Program Services.

Further, University employees may participate in projects, which are carried out with University facilities, only in their capacity as employees of the institution. That is, University facilities may not be used by an employee in his or her capacity as a consultant to an outside entity. Consulting is an activity carried out on personal time with personal, rather than institutional, resources.

Oversight Committee Approval

The Research Compliance Services (RCS) can assist you in obtaining appropriate review and approval of research areas that will need the consideration of an oversight committee. Many times a sponsor will require a signature from a compliance office at the time of submission while other sponsors only require compliance review and approval upon award. If your research will use any of the areas listed below, please contact RCS.

Animal Subjects

The University of Connecticut has established, and must maintain, policies and procedures to ensure the humane care and use of live vertebrate animals involved in research and teaching activities. The University’s animal program, facilities, and procedures are overseen by an Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC). All plans for research, teaching or training activities involving the use of animal subjects must be submitted for review and approval to the IACUC. See the IACUC home page  for forms, policies and contact information.

Controlled Substances

Controlled substances are regulated by the CT Department of Consumer Protection Drug Control Division (DCD).  The Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) maintains a database of personnel who are licensed by the DCD to use controlled substances on any of the University’s campuses.  Individuals with valid needs to utilize controlled substances for University-sanctioned research protocols and related project work must complete a DCD registration form.  In addition, researchers must also register with the federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).  Contact Stefan Wawzyniecki, Chemical Health and Safety Manager, for further information on procedures for obtaining a license prior to the use of any controlled substance in research-related activities on University property.

Human Subjects

All plans for research, teaching and training activities involving the use of human subjects must be submitted for prior review by the Committee on the Use of Human Subjects in Research to ensure that no research done under the jurisdiction of the University exposes persons who participate as subjects or respondents to unreasonable risks to their health, general well-being or privacy. See the IRB home page for forms, policies and contact information.

Environmental Health and Safety

The Division of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) establishes policies, programs and procedures and delivers mandatory training related to research safety.  Various university committees, including the Chemical Hygiene, Radiation Safety and Laser Safety committees, oversee the safety programs administered by EHS and review/approve certain research protocols or SOPs. Please visit the EHS webpage for training schedules, program requirements, committee information, regulated waste management procedures and other pertinent safety requirements and contact information.

Recombinant / Synthetic Nucleic Acid (rsNA) Molecules and Biological Agents

The Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) reviews all research and teaching activities that involve recombinant / synthetic nucleic acid (rsNA) molecules, biological agents, and toxins.  The purpose of the IBC review is to ensure that University activities comply with local, state, and federal regulations. The IBC also ensures that appropriate safeguards are in place for human health and the environment.  For each research or teaching project, an IBC Registration must be submitted by the faculty member, or designee.  The  IBC website provides links to applicable regulatory information (e.g. guidelines from NIH and CDC), more information on the registration process, as well as additional biosafety resources. To begin the registration process, or for further assistance regarding the IBC, please contact Danielle Delage, IBC Coordinator at (860) 486-1838 or via email at For biosafety related issues contact David Cavallaro, Biological Safety Officer with Environmental Health & Safety, at (860) 486 3180.