The Office of the Vice President for Research is pleased to support faculty research / professional development through the OVPR/AAUP Faculty Travel Program. This program unites two sources of faculty travel funding (the AAUP Professional Development fund and the OVPR Faculty Travel Fund) under a common set of guidelines and through a common application portal.
AAUP Professional Development Fund (AAUP PD): According to the AAUP contract (Storrs/Regional Campus bargaining unit), “each eligible full-time faculty member shall, upon request, receive up to $2000 from the Professional Development Fund for any academic-related travel expenses… so long as such funds are available.” Thirty percent of total AAUP PD funding will be reserved until February 1 for faculty within seven years of their terminal degree. Academic-related travel is broadly defined and includes costs (airfare/transportation, lodging, conference registration fees, per diem, etc.) related to both research and teaching-focused conferences, as well as academic workshops and other professional development opportunities.
OVPR Faculty Travel Fund: The OVPR portion of the program is designed to augment the funding provided via the AAUP portion, with the added requirement that funds be used only to support the dissemination of research results (active participation as a speaker/presenter) at conferences / professional workshops. OVPR funds will be awarded only when AAUP funds are expended or otherwise not available.
- The AAUP Professional Development Fund will be the first source of faculty travel funding used for all requests (regardless of level of participation) from eligible faculty members.
- Requests that are exclusively related to professional development (not related to the presentation of research results) can only be made from the AAUP PD Fund. Awards for PD cannot be made from the OVPR Faculty Travel fund. Once AAUP PD funds are exhausted, awards can only be made to support the presentation of research results.
- AAUP: All full-time UConn faculty who are members of the University of Connecticut Chapter of the AAUP (includes Regional Campuses; excludes faculty in the School of Law, School of Medicine, and School of Dental Medicine, as well as adjunct faculty from all campuses/schools).
- OVPR: Same as above, with addition of School of Law faculty.
- Awards are made on a first-come, first-served basis. As both AAUP and OVPR funds are limited, faculty are encouraged to apply for funding as soon as they are aware of the travel opportunity.
- We ask that awards are requested at least 10 days prior to the first day of travel to ensure adequate time for processing.
- Faculty are eligible for up to $2000 in travel awards inclusive of both the AAUP and OVPR programs. Faculty who reach the $2000 limit from the AAUP fund will not be eligible for additional funding from the OVPR fund regardless of active participation. When all of the AAUP funds have been committed, eligible faculty can request up to $2000 from the OVPR fund as long as they are active participants and have not already reached the $2000 limit. The maximum award per fiscal year is $2000 regardless of funding source or number of awards.
- AAUP awards may be used for any academic-related travel (both research and teaching-focused conferences, as well as academic workshops and other professional development opportunities).
- OVPR awards are made only when AAUP funds are not available and can only be used for active participation/presentation of research.
- Awards are made for the reimbursement of travel expenses only.
- Retroactive applications for trips that have already occurred will NOT be accepted under any circumstances.
- Reimbursements for OVPR awards must include evidence of active participation.
- Funding pools and per-faculty limits run on a fiscal year calendar (7/1-6/30)
- Trips that span fiscal years will be considered part of the year in which the greater number of travel days fall.
Once AAUP and OVPR funds for a particular fiscal year are fully committed, the OVPR reserves the right to close down the application portal so that no new applications may be submitted.
- Faculty members receiving AAUP/OVPR awards must submit reimbursements within 60 days of travel. The OVPR will track reimbursements and close out travel awards after 60 days and return any unused funds to the funding pool for reallocation.
- Faculty who receive awards but do not engage in the approved travel should notify the OVPR as soon as possible so that the unused funds can be returned to the funding pool and reallocated. Faculty cannot substitute unapproved travel for awards they are not able to use.
- Applications for the next fiscal year will not be accepted until funding levels for the next year are confirmed. Usually this will occur in late May.
Note: All expenses reimbursed under the AAUP/OVPR Faculty Travel program must adhere to University travel policies. Each of the expense categories listed below have specific guidelines described in the University travel policy documentation and apply to all faculty regardless of rank. Guidelines listed below should always be assumed to be in addition to broader University guidelines
- Primary Transportation
- Bus/train fare
- Car – Car rental, parking, and limousine services are not eligible expenses.
- Mileage (to and from airport)
- Shuttle/Secondary transportation
- Registration fee – breakdown is required if registration fee includes meals and lodging).
- Meals and Lodging
- Previous limits placed on senior faculty for expense categories have been removed.
Reimbursement Instructions / Guidelines