The Office of the Vice President for Research, Technology Commercialization Services, is seeking an energetic, patent and licensing professional to join our technology-focused Licensing Team.
Under the direction of the Director of Technology Transfer, the Licensing Director will be responsible for managing the evaluation, patenting and licensing of a portfolio of University inventions in the physical sciences and engineering. This includes providing support to startup companies affiliated with the University.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Evaluating inventions disclosures received in the physical sciences and engineering for patentability and market potential, and assisting in similar evaluations for interdisciplinary inventions when appropriate.
- Meeting with faculty and staff to aid in invention evaluations and to track progress of continued research related to inventions.
- Participating in team-based review meetings for decisions on patenting and commercialization of inventions and presenting inventions for review as needed.
- Managing patent prosecution for inventions in partnership with inventors and outside counsel.
- Developing and executing invention-specific marketing plans, patent and commercialization strategies to attract potential licensees.
- Negotiating options, licenses, letters of intent, term sheets, material transfer agreements, confidentiality agreement, etc.; and monitoring and managing compliance of such agreements.
- Participating in discussions, advising and supporting decisions pertaining to the formation of University start-up companies.
- Establishing strong relationships with relevant industry executives, investors, entrepreneurs and researchers in Connecticut, the region and beyond.
- Helping develop and support programs devised to aid in the creation of startup companies by faculty and students, with access to information used in collective bargaining.
- Supporting negotiation of sponsored research agreements as needed.
- Working with other members of the OVPR to achieve the Office’s overall goals.
- Performing other related duties as required.
- Advanced degree in the physical sciences (Ph.D.) or engineering (MS) and a minimum of three (3) years of experience which may include a combination of management, marketing, product development, technology development, technology transfer and/or research demonstrating an ability to be entrepreneurial, identify and make effective contacts with industry resulting in partnerships, collaborations or business relationships.
- Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills with an ability to distill and articulate technical concepts in order to communicate effectively with both university scientists and industry representatives across a broad range of technologies.
- Must have a demonstrated ability to understand the industrial relevance of early-stage inventions.
- A combination of business and academic/R&D experience in the physical sciences or engineering. Experience in electrical engineering and or computer science is strongly preferred.
- Strong writing and computer skills.
- Knowledge of intellectual property management and patenting.
- MBA or Ph.D.
- Knowledge of the formation of equity-based ventures and intellectual property issues.
- Ability to work as both team leader and team member.
- Ability to set priorities and work within targeted time frames.
- Ability to be responsive to the academic mission and priorities of the University.
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary and outstanding benefits.
Applications must be submitted through the UConn Jobs website: www.jobs.uconn.edu, (under Staff Positions), and should include a detailed curriculum vitae, preferred contact information, and the names and contact information for three (3) professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately, with preference given to candidates who apply by February 28, 2018. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2018370)
For confidential inquiries or additional information please contact:
Laurie Pudlo, MPS HRM
Office of the Vice President for Research
University of Connecticut
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. Eastern time on February 28, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.