When a sponsor limits the number of proposals/applications that can be submitted by an institution, it may be necessary for an internal screening competition. If a PI is interested in submitting for a program, a Notification of Intent (NOI) must be submitted by the due date. If there are more NOI’s than the sponsor limit, an internal screening will be required. If there is not enough sufficient time to hold an internal competition, an administrative decision may be rendered by the Office of the Vice President for Research. PI’s who become aware of a limited submission program are asked to contact Research@uconn.edu.
Internal Competition Guidelines
If an internal competition is scheduled or announced, pre-proposals will be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org in electronic format as one .pdf document and will include:
1. Cover page, to include:
- Name of program
- Title of project
Complete contact information of submitter(s)
2. Maximum three-page summary describing the project and demonstrating how it will:
- Fulfill the program/solicitation criteria
- Contribute to meeting the research and/or educational goals of the institution.
3. Maximum two-page budget (if applicable) and budget justification, or summary of costs, including cost sharing commitment required in the solicitation. If a cost sharing commitment is required by the Sponsor, a letter of support is required from the Dean/Department Head as to how this commitment will potentially be achieved.
4. Maximum two-page list of investigators, summarizing credentials and role in the project.
5. Optional maximum two-page attachment containing any additional relevant information. For example, if a proposal is a resubmission, a summary of available comments/reviews can be attached
Please adhere to these guidelines. Pre-proposals not submitted according to these guidelines will be returned. Pre-proposals will be reviewed by an internal screening committee with respect to the announced program eligibility and criteria. Reviewers may, or may not, return comments. Principal Investigators will be notified of approval to submit.
If you wish to participate as a reviewer for an internal screening, please complete the Reviewer form.
Final proposals are due to the Sponsored Program Services, Storrs or the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs, UConn Health, a minimum of 5 working days prior to the sponsor’s deadline for final review prior to submission.