What is REDCap?
REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure database driven software used to create research-oriented data capture forms and surveys. Originally developed at Vanderbilt University and funded by the NIH, REDCap continues to be enhanced and maintained by a large consortium of biomedical institutions. View Flyer. Learn more.
- Easy-to-build projects without advanced programming knowledge.
- Smart forms with auto-validation and branching/skip logic.
- Extensive question types including: matrix questions, rating scales, textboxes, radio buttons, dropdowns, and file uploads.
- Rapid design and deployment (in less than one day) for live data collection.
- Multiple collection modes: online data collection in the field (via the web) or onsite.
- Anonymous or identified survey responses.
- Ability to save forms as PDF files that can be printed for paper-based data collection.
- Automated data exports to common data analysis tools, such as Excel, SAS, SPSS, Stata, & R.
- Ability to reuse forms for multiple study events or waves.
- Project calendaring for managing data collection events and study visits.
- Ad hoc reporting.
- Convenient web authentication using the Health Center’s domain account system.
- High security and access to data over an encrypted web connection.
REDCap Data Collection Modes
- REDCap Survey is similar to SurveyMonkey, which allows you to collect responses directly from research participants.
- REDCap Case Report Form creates an electronic database, which allows you to enter information through direct transcription or by uploading existing data files.
Your project can include both.
Security & Human Subjects Research Data
All data stored on our servers at the Health Center are protected by multiple firewalls. Remote access from outside the Health Center is provided securely over an encrypted web connection. In addition, the software allows you to identify and protect fields that contain Protected Health Information (PHI) data by employing fine-grained user rights that are set by the study administrator to control who can view, modify, or add data and/or forms. All activities are system logged, and are available in a full audit trail.
REDCap employs a streamlined process enabling you to rapidly develop a project:
- REGISTER by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you a link to our online registration application. Once we receive your completed application, we will create your account and offer a 1-hour tutorial to get you started.
- DEFINE your data variables and relevant properties.
- CREATE your REDCap database online as you go or upload a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet to render your database in the Test (Sandbox) system.
- PREVIEW your database, add study staff and access rights, and test the functionality.
- REVISE your database or survey by making necessary changes and re-test.
- DEPLOY your database to the production environment and start collecting your data.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Q: I am not a UConn Health Center employee; can I use REDCap for my project?
Yes. Although REDCap is available to all UConn Health Center employees, it is also made available for non-employees who are registered with CICATS (CT Institute for Clinical & Translational Science) and whose institution a reciprocal agreement with the UConn Health IRB. For more information on CICATS and how to register, visit http://cicats.uchc.edu/.
- Q: How much advanced programming knowledge do I need to use REDCap?
None. There is no programming, networking, or database experience needed to use REDCap. Simple, easy-to-use design interfaces within REDCap handle all of these details automatically.
- Q: Can I still maintain a paper trail for my study, even if I use REDCap?
Yes. All surveys and forms can be downloaded and saved as Adobe PDF files.
- Q: Can I link multiple projects that share common data?
Yes. As long as the projects have common fields such as demographics information to link to.
- Q: What types of projects can I create?
Multiple. You can create surveys as you would in SurveyMonkey; data forms, e.g. Case Report Forms (CRF); or a combination of both
For any questions or to request access to REDCap, email email@example.com or call Harriet Potts at 860-679-1120