The training requirements as specified under federal regulations and UConn policy will be complete once a faculty member, and any other investigator that conducts sponsored research, has submitted a Significant Financial Interest (SFI) disclosure electronically within the InfoEd External Interests module (www.infoed.uconn.edu).
Significant Financial Interest Review (SFIR) forms and SFI Supplemental Disclosure forms will still be accepted as part of a proposal until November 15, 2015. Electronic submittal of an SFI disclosure will be mandatory after this date. If submitting paper forms before November 15, you will still be required to complete the training requirements as specified below:
All PHS-funded Investigators must complete training prior to engaging in PHS-funded research and at least every four (4) years thereafter as well as under the following circumstances (in the timeframes noted in parentheses):
- The University’s Financial Conflict of Interest policy changes such that Investigator requirements are affected (within 60 days).
- An Investigator is new to the University (prior to engaging in PHS-funded research).
- The University finds that an Investigator is not in compliance with the Policy or a management plan (immediately).
Investigators are to take the Conflict of Interest Mini-Course on the CITI website and complete certification based on the appropriate timelines listed above. The CITI Conflict of Interest Mini-Course certification is good for four (4) years unless other circumstances arise.
There are two mandatory modules within the CITI Conflict of Interest Mini-Course:
- Module 1: Financial Conflicts of Interest: Overview, Investigator Responsibilities, and COI Rules
- Module 2: Institutional Responsibilities as They Affect Investigators
There is a third module that is optional:
- Module 4: Conflicts of Commitment, Conscience, and Institutional Conflicts of Interest
CITI COI Module How-To
- Login to the program here: https://www.citiprogram.org/default.asp
- About halfway down on the main menu page, choose “Add a course or update your learner groups.”
- Scroll to the bottom of the Select Curriculum page to CITI Course Enrollment questions, question 5.
- Question 5: Would you like to take the Conflicts of Interest course? Choose “Yes.”
The system will then bring you back to your main menu. Conflicts of Interest, Stage 1, is now listed under My Courses.
Proof of Completion
When you complete the course, you can select “View Completion Report” at the top or the bottom of your Grade Book and print it for your records. A copy of your Completion Report will automatically be sent to Financial Conflict of Interest Coordinator in the Office for Sponsored Programs. The fact of your completion will remain in the CITI database and may be accessed by you or by a UConn CITI administrator at any time.
If you have any problems, please call the FCOI Manager at 860-486-3994.
(Note that effective March 2015, CITI Program’s website will block use of Internet Explorer version 7, which is now more than 8 years old, as it does earlier versions of IE. Site users will need to have IE 8 or later, or use a current version of Chrome, Firefox, or Safari.)