(Sponsored Program Services Administrative Services Specialist II, UCP IV)
The Office of the Vice President for Research, Sponsored Program Services at the University of Connecticut (UConn) is seeking an efficient, detail-oriented, multi-tasking Administrative Services Specialist with a high volume of processing experience in a professional office to join our growing research enterprise. </p.
Under the direction of the Pre-Award Team Leader, the Pre-Award Assistant will be responsible for the receipt, preliminary review and logging of sponsored research proposals and contracts, and for the time-sensitive processing of grant proposals and contracts to be submitted to sponsors. Representative duties will include ensuring and maintaining complete electronic and other proposal documentation, data entry and upload of budgets into the electronic research administration system, answering telephones and responding to emails and inquiries related to proposal processing; providing exceptional customer service to researchers, members of the University, and other or external constituencies.
Minimum qualifications include: Associates degree or equivalent combination of education and experience; three to five years of experience providing customer service, processing and administrative support in a high volume, deadline driven environment; demonstrated superior customer service orientation; demonstrated knowledge of data entry and recordkeeping utilizing complex databases or electronic recordkeeping systems; demonstrated ability to ensure accuracy and attention to detail with a high volume of files, product or similar; ability to independently resolve new and unusual problems; excellent time management and organizational skills; excellent accuracy and attention to detail; excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills; proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel; proficiency with standard office equipment, including copiers, scanners and facsimiles.
Preferred qualifications include: Bachelor’s degree in a related field; financial experience, or experience working with budgets; experience with InfoEd research administration system and experience working in higher education environment.
The University of Connecticut offers a comprehensive package of salary and benefits.
Candidates must submit a letter of interest, resume and a list of at least three professional references through the UConn Jobs website (http://hr.uconn.edu/jobs/). Screening of applicants will begin immediately. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. Search #2017373.
For confidential inquiries or additional information please contact:
Laurie Pudlo, Administrative Manager
Office of the Vice President for Research
University of Connecticut
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is an EEO/AA employer.
The University of Connecticut (UConn) is a Land Grant and Sea Grant college and member of the Space Grant Consortium, and is ranked among the top 20 public universities in the nation according to the 2017 U.S. News and World Report. In support of an ambitious state investment in economic development, higher education, and research, the Office of the Vice President for Research seeks highly motivated, skilled, and engaged individuals to work within an increasingly diverse and complex research environment.
Under the general supervision of the Pre-Award Team Leader, is responsible for the receipt, preliminary review and logging of sponsored research proposals and contracts, and for processing reviewed proposals and contracts for submission to sponsors.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives and conducts preliminary review of submitted grant proposal packets, and follows up to resolve problems and ensure completeness. Logs proposals into InfoEd research administration system, and assigns proposals for review.
- Logs contracts into InfoEd research administration system, and assigns contracts for review. Updates contract records in InfoEd system and processes executed contracts for submission to sponsor.
- Ensures and maintains complete electronic and other documentation of Pre-Award records, including data entry of budget information into the InfoEd system.
- Screens correspondence, records and other documents for appropriate action, to determine proper response or to resolve problems; makes referrals as appropriate.
- Responds to requests for information and provides assistance in solving a variety of problems of ordinary difficulty, based on training, knowledge of procedures, practices and past experience.
- Transmits information and serves as a resource regarding policies and procedures relating to the review of pre-award proposals, with responsibility to occasionally interpret such policies and procedures within scope of authority.
- Regularly communicates with researchers, other University offices and/or outside agencies to request or provide information or clarification.
- Reviews operating procedures for efficiency and effectiveness; makes minor changes or recommends major changes or improvements; may participate in planning and decisions regarding new or changed procedures.
- May draft or independently compose and/or edit routine correspondence and other documents related to role or proposal processing.
- Performs routine administrative functions for the Pre-Award and Contracts units; coordinates work flow and processes administrative paperwork.
- Coordinates with other staff to ensure timely processing of proposals and contracts.
- May assist in the coordination of meetings for Pre-Award and Contracts staff.
- Compiles information and prepares reports, as needed or requested.
- Participates in the hiring, training, scheduling and supervision of students in the office.
- Performs related duties as required.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications
- Associates degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least three years of experience providing customer service, processing, and administrative support in a high volume, deadline driven environment.
- Demonstrated superior customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of data entry and recordkeeping utilizing complex databases or electronic recordkeeping systems.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure accuracy and attention to detail with a high volume of files, product, or similar.
- Ability to independently resolve new and unusual problems.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Proficiency with standard office equipment, including copiers, scanners, facsimiles.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Financial experience, or experience working with budgets.
- Experience with InfoEd research administration system.
- Experience in working in higher education environment.